ARIZONA COMMUNITY TREE COUNCIL, INC.
REGISTER FOR AN EVENT | CALENDAR | ACTC STORE | CONTACT US | LOG IN
DESERT BOTANICAL GARDEN
Part-time, Seasonal Arborist Internship
JOB TITLE: Arborist Intern
REPORTS TO: Lead Arborist
STATUS: Part time, Non-exempt
Pay Grade: TBD
Position is a paid part-time internship beginning January 2020 and running through September 2020. Internship is approximately 20 hours per week at $12.00/ hr.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To gain experience and develop skills related to the field of arboriculture by working along arborist certified staff in learning and practicing specific tasks related to the pruning, care, and long term health of the Garden’s more than 1,900 trees in accordance with the International Society of Arboriculture’s best practices guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Primary duty is to perform the tasks identified in the horticulture department’s pruning rotation plan for the areas and trails of the Desert Botanical Garden under the supervision of the Garden’s lead arborist.
• Learn and practice pruning methods including: clearance pruning, end weight reduction, balancing, separation, and structure pruning, especially on young trees.
• In collaboration with lead arborist, intern will plant new trees, move dead or failing trees, practice tree propagation, and assist with data collection for the living collections management system.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the lead arborist.
1. Be enrolled in a formal learning program through a university, community college, or a professional development plan through your current employer;
2. Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and work in extreme weather conditions, including the summer;
3. Be team oriented and self-motivated; excellent oral and written communication skills; organization ability and detail-oriented a must;
4. Have an interest in horticulture, arboriculture, plant conservation, or ecology;
5. Ability to work a flexible schedule.
Reasonable accommodation may be made, where necessary, to allow a qualified individual to perform essential job functions.
Tools and equipment will be provided by the Garden.
Send Cover Letter and Resume to: Ray Leimkuehler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership & Committees
Find a Tree Professional
You Tube Videos
THANK YOU TO OUR ANNUAL SPONSORS